Describe el clima de Monterrey a un extranjero con este vocabulario. / Check out this vocabulary so you can describe the Monterrey’s weather to a foreigner.
|extreme weather||when a weather event is significantly different from the average or usual weather pattern.||clima extremoso|
|dusty||/ˈdəstē/||Covered with or resembling dust (fine powder)||polvoso/ terroso|
|arid||/ˌsem.iˈær.ɪd/||has little rain but is not completely dry||Semi-árido|
|humid||/ˈhjuːmid/||relatively high level of water vapor in the atmosphere||húmedo|
|mist||/mist/||a cloud of moisture in the air but very close to the ground, which makes it difficult to see any distance||Con neblina / borroso|
|drizzle||/ˈdrizl/||to rain in small drops||llovizna|
|flood||/flad/||a large amount of water covering an area that is usually dry||Inundación|
|breeze||/briːz/||a light wind||brisa|
|chilly||/tʃil/||too cold to be comfortable||fresco|
|foggy||/ˈfɒɡi/||a thick cloud of very small drops of water in the air close to the land or ocean, that is very difficult to see through||neblinoso|
|overcast||/ˈəʊvəkɑːst/||Sky covered by gray clouds; dull||nublado|
|clear||/ˈklir/||without cloud or mist||despejado|
|extremely hot||a period of unusually high temperatures||calor extremo|
|mild||/mʌɪld/||not very cold, and therefore pleasant||moderado|
|feels like||sensación térmica|
|strong north||viento fuerte del norte|
|moderate||/ˈmɒd(ə)rət/||medium or average||moderado|
|high||/hʌɪ/||near the top in grade, rank, class etc||temperatura máxima|
|low||/ləʊ/||near the bottom in grade, rank, class etc||temperatura mínima|
|degrees Celsius||/ˈsɛlsɪəs/||using a scale of temperature in which water freezes at 0° and boils at 100°||grados centígrados|
|degrees Fahrenheit||/ˈfar(ə)nhʌɪt/||using a scale of temperature in which water freezes at 32° and boils at 212°||grados Fahrenheit|
Rewrite the sentence that could describe Monterrey’s weather using the vocabulary above. Replace the underlined phrase and adapt their structure but don’t change the meaning.
- The maximum temperature for today is 35ª.
- It’s 5º degrees outside but you perceive a temperature of 2ª.
- I can`t go out without my umbrella because there is a small amount of rain falling.
- The sky has a lot of clouds that don’t let sun come through.
- Roll down the window so the wind can come in and cool us off.
- I don’t need a jacket but it’s too cold and I’m cold if I wear short sleeves.
- Monterrey has a crazy weather.
- There won’t be clouds in the sky today.
- The Monterrey-Saltillo highway is full of clouds that don’t let you see ahead. Be careful
- It`s raining a lot. Monterrey’s streets will be full of water.
Describe this week’s weather to a co-worker that will visit Monterrey. Help him or her know how to dress.
You can also find “Monterrey’s weather” vocabulary list in a printable version at Monterrey’s Weather